Friday, June 10, 2011

I love you, Big Bird!

Koorosh, known in the west as Cyrus the Great, may have been the first to march his armies under the Eagle standard, as shown above, and he may have even been the nicest. He was a friend to the Jews and is said to have been the first ruler to have a concept of human rights. He certainly beat Ashoka to it by a couple of hundred years. His life is celebrated on October 29th apparently so remind me at the time and I'll organise a Koorosh party.

I've seen some nice big birds the last couple of days, the usual Buzzards and Herons but also 2 possible Ravens. The first one was in a place I've seen one before and it was mobbed by a gang of Jackdaws who looked tiny by comparison. The second was this evening flying over my house in the city which doesn't seem too likely. It was hard to see the shape of the tail, which is the visual giveaway or make a croak, which is the main one. They're bigger than Carrion Crows but you can only tell when they're close together. Most people up here call all big crows Ravens anyway.
Fools!

BTW It's bollocks about Margaret Atwood being an SF denialist. Dunno where I got that from.
More fun today, Rebecca's still alive, yeah! Blanco's dead, yeah! Nice that Toby got to kill him too, though it was more an act of mercy than a Charles Bronson reckoning. Now I'm getting near the end I figure it's safe to start using t'net to do some around reading. Oryx and Crake was nominated for the Man Booker prize. Er...is that the same as the Booker Prize?All the reviews seem to think that YOTF is some sort of laugh-fest by comparison. I mean it is very funny in places but it is a about a nightmare scenario, before and after the flood. I can see David Cameron's big society going that way you know. Oh shut up Koosie.

Link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmGxh1FhtxE

I loved the video when I was a kid and still find the music very exciting all these years later, like yesterday's. Now I used to think that the other singer's voice was speeded up but I seen a live recording of this on a DVD of Whistle Test and I can tell you it isn't. It's just a really amazing voice.

No comments: